Road Management Services
A unique, full service turnkey solution for haul road management
DUST-A-SIDE is one of the largest providers of haul road and dust control management solutions to the mining industry in the world. Today, DUST-A-SIDE operates globally at over 70 mine sites across five continents and employ nearly 900 personnel. As such, we are uniquely placed to provide a holistic approach to haul road management.
We do far more than sell dust suppression products like so many others in our industry. Instead, we provide a full-service business model incorporating the manufacture, supply, installation, maintenance and management of haul road performance and dust control solutions. This includes:
- All personnel
- Plant & equipment
- Dust suppression products
Our single-minded, one-source approach doesn’t just help you enjoy unmatched economies of scale, it also means that we can achieve highly effective dust control plus a supremely productive haul road running surface on any mine site.
Total Haul Road Management
Step 1: Manufacturing
DUST-A-SIDE HINCOL doesn’t just have THE best dust suppression product for haul roads on the market – DASProduct – we also have our own proven supply chain and an incomparable logistics capability.
DASProduct is a bespoke dust control product developed especially for the mining industry, using proprietary bitumen emulsion technology. It has been proven to control fugitive dust, as well as stabilize the wearing course layer on permanent haul roads at mining sites throughout the world.
It is manufactured right here in India under license by our parent company COLAS, leveraging off of their global bitumen supply chain from our joint venture partner, HINDUSTAN COLAS and unrivaled manufacturing expertise in the Indian market. The HINCOL Group is a highly regarded global bitumen technology organization with an emphasis on bitumen supply and associated technologies.
B-601, 6th Floor
N M Joshi Marg,
Mumbai – 400013
Steps 2 & 3: Bulk Transportation & Storage
Manufacturing a highly effective dust suppression product is one thing – getting it to your site cost-efficiently and onto your haul roads is another thing altogether.
As part of our vertically integrated business model, DUST-A-SIDE HINCOL has developed a comprehensive in-house bulk transportation capability, to overcome the “tyranny of distance” for large projects hundreds of kilometers from anywhere.
Storing DASProduct in bulk at your facility saves you money on transport, plus there are no IBC’s, drums or other containers so there are economic and environmental benefits too.
And best of all, it’s all handled for you by trained experts.
Step 4: Road Preparation
Preparation is important in most aspects of life – in haul road management, it’s critical. Prior to establishing the haul road, we ensure that the foundations are all in order and that the road-base layers have been properly prepared and profiled to the highest possible standards. This process involves:
- Construction of the haul road sub-grade and sub-base layers to ensure that the haul road has sufficient underlying strength to support the weight of the loaded equipment that will be traveling along it
- Incorporation of adequate cross fall and super-elevation, as well as appropriate drainage, and
- Development of a surface layer (base course)
Once the road has been properly prepared, the surface layer material will then be spilled into windrows on either side of the roadway.
Step 5: Road Establishment
Once the haul road has been expertly prepared; the road establishment process can commence. This is completed through one of the two methods:
- Road management
- Spray-on solution
Our road management process is without peer. Refined for more than 40 years has been proven to yield the most productive haul roads at the lowest life-cycle cost.
Stabilization of the haul road provides an improved haul road running surface that will reduce the need to regularly grade and re-sheet roads, improve the rolling resistance for mobile equipment and thus improve cycle time efficiency.
DASProduct is initially established into the wearing course layer of the haul road to bind material and provide a surface seal that significantly reduces wheel-generated dust and the ingress of water into the road-base.
It is applied via a water cart and, for best results, a modified spray bar and nozzle system is incorporated onto the water truck / distributor. The final trim grader operator mixes the product with the windrows using the grader, before capping the road surface with the mixed material.
During the stabilization process, a roller is initially used for compaction, although heavy mobile machinery will provide optimum compaction upon completion of the road establishment process.
In instances where road management is not desired, DASProduct is simply applied onto the surface of the road via a series of light dilutions.
The repeated application of the product and penetration properties of the formulation will lead to a steady progressive build-up of a bitumen sealed surface that binds surface material together and prevents water ingress.
Step 6: Maintenance
With roads established and maintained with a bitumen-based seal, it does not leach out during inclement weather and it is by far the easiest road binder material to repair. During the Maintenance Phase, repeated applications of diluted DASProduct are applied to maintain the integrity of the running surface, eliminate water ingress beneath the surface, and control dust.
Our unique maintenance system is designed to ensure that the on-going road quality is optimized and therefore the available benefits maximized.
The maintenance system not only comprises the on-going application of product, but also the following proprietary processes as and when required:
- Sweeping (using specially designed mine haul road sweepers) to control dust, contamination and loose material on the surface established and treated with DASProduct
- Skimming of the wearing course surface with a grader or similar means to remove heavy contamination and loose material
- Re-scarifying of the riding surface to maintain the integrity of the seal layer and retain adequate surface texture properties
- Pothole repair
- Repair of failed sections of the haul road
- Repair of damaged sections of the haul road
Adoption of DUST-A-SIDE HINCOL’s haul road management system will yield the following proven results:
- Operational dust reductions of 90%+
- Water savings of 95%+
- Safer roads due to improved visibility
- Operational cost savings and efficiencies due to the reduced need for water carts
- Increased productivity through faster cycle times (up to 30% reduction in rolling resistance)
- Less wet-weather delays due to faster road drying times, improved wet-weather trafficability and fewer washouts
- Lower initial construction costs when building new roads
- Operational cost savings through a reduced need for graders and other road maintenance equipment, as well as regular replenishment of surface wearing course material
- Reduction in fuel consumption of 3% (on average)
- Improved tire life and equipment component life
- Safer haulage conditions due to the reduced likelihood of uncontrolled vehicle movements
- Reduced road roughness, leading to lower maintenance costs for mobile equipment and health and safety benefits for operators
A full range of proven solutions
With well over 40 years of global research and refinement to rely on, DUST-A-SIDE has everything it takes – the experience, the personnel and in particular the products – to provide quantifiable results on every level.
DUST-A-SIDE HINCOL has a complete range of dust suppression products to provide the most operationally and cost effective solution across any operation.
They can be used – effectively and economically – in a wide range of applications such as semi-permanent roads, temporary roads, underground work areas, laydown facilities, exposed areas, stockpile/ embankment areas, veneering and construction areas.
Our products include bitumen and polymer-based emulsions, as well as organic binders, surfactant technologies and a range of blended products. Each product is designed and developed to perform a specific task and can be applied in different ways to achieve your desired outcomes.
For further information and advice about our services and solutions, call us now on +91-22-23023250.